Tags

, , , , , ,

I am back from vacations, so I decided to try out the PixInsight software to edit my subs. I put on myself the challenge to only use PI for everything for that image, so I could learn a little. I used Harry’s website with the video tutorials to guide me. They are very useful.

First thing a notice is that I could not find much information of how to add the calibration frames of Dark, Flat and Bias. So I did the stacking only with Light frames. Using Star Alignment and Image Integration tools. And it took forever (more than an hour just for 12 images stacking). Also it consumed all my computer resources rendering it unusable. Until I made the process have less priority so the computer was usable.

After that, I pretty much followed a demo of Harry using same tools and if I liked the result i kept, if not I just undid it.

By the end, I have my first PixInsight post-processed image:

Perseus Double ClusterPerseus Double Cluster (NGC 869 and NGC 884)
Crop 1:1 post-processed
Focal Length: 300 mm
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO: 2000
Shutter: 30s
Tracker: Astrotrac
Stacking: 12
Total exposure: 360s
Taken Jul 18th, 2013 around 00:40 CEST

Compared to my previous Double Cluster this one is a million times better: no star trails, thanks to the Astrotrac; it has longer exposure so it shows more stars; the light pollution was removed pretty well; and for the first time I have colors in the stars. Pretty cool.

I compared the result with some pictures I have seeing on the web, and it seems quite similar. One thing that I should have done is to use the DBE tool again to remove some background noise on the bottom right of the image.

First impression, it is a great tool. Just quite hard to learn, but I will take a time to learn it. Well, gonna edit some more of my pictures and post it in the following days. And hopefully with colors!

Advertisements